FOP Lodge 4 Meeting Minutes May 31, 2018
Member Sign in: See member sign in book Call to Order: 1836 hours Pledge of Allegiance and Invocation: Chaplain Christopherson
Roll Call of Officers: See below Introduction of Resolutions: See below Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting: Motion made by President Vanhook to adopt the minutes from the previous meeting, VP Hendrie Seconded the motion, motion passed unanimously.
Committee Reports: -
Social Committee- Spring BBQ is set for June 19, 2018. Trustee Badberg and Delegate Fleming will be working on this and sending out more information.
Executive Board and Trustee Reports: President Jeff Vanhook – Has been working with Sheriff and the commissioners in regards to improving the retirement plan for sworn staff. FPPA was researched extensively and doesn’t look like it will be a viable option. In short, we could only buy into it at 50% due to Colorado legislature and we would still have to pay into social security. Furthermore, when you collect social security the amount you are eligible for will be greatly reduced due to the way FPPA is structured. This information lead to conversation with the Sheriff and commissioners about increasing what the county will match. The discussion involved having the option of adding 4% to the current 8% contribution for a total of 12%, this is a 50% increase in contribution from the county. The Sheriff and commissioner’s are supportive of conducting research into this possibility. President Vanhook will follow up with them in a couple of weeks .
VP Robert Hendrie – Presented a posters for non sworn membership, will continue to work on them.
2nd VP Steve Wicker- New hire recruitment lunch is scheduled for June 12.
Treasurer Mark Hovey – We may be charged fees at the bank due to not having our federal FEIN # yet. Will email up to date financials to Secretary Wicker in the next week or so.
Secretary Shannon Wicker – 202 members as of last update.
State Trustee Troy Badberg- Absent
Sgt. at Arms Eric James – Nothing to report
Chaplain Rick Christopherson - Working with Palmer to get a new chaplain for the jail deputies.
Delegate Chris Fleming- Nothing to report
Delegate Daniel Romero - Will be talking to the new hire’s during the June 8, 2018 training.
Delegate - Open
Immediate Past President Justin Atwood - Absent
Unfinished Business: -501(3)c: All documents are filled out and submitted. We are a go with the State, waiting for a response from the Federal side, waiting for our FEIN number. -Constitution and Bylaws: The recently modified Bylaws were filed with the State, signed and submitted. New Business: -Attended the State Conference it went well, those that went attended classes and learned information that will benefit our Lodge. One of the things we were told was that there was a chance that National’s may not cover a legal claim by non sworn employees. We clarified with JD Cordova, the State Legal Defense Fund Administrator. He advised that this was not the case, as long as we have the member listed as active in the national database, it is written in our Bylaws that they are members, and we have them on the state LDF roster the claim would be covered. If there was a discrepancy he advised that the State would cover the claims. -Treasurer Hovey advised he will be stepping down. Spencer Colby expressed a desire to take over the treasurer position. In the next coming weeks Hovey will train Colby on the workings of the position. We will also be having the books looked over by an accountant during this transition. Motion from Sgt at Arms James to give President Vanhook the authority to appoint Colby prior to next meeting once the training has taken place. Fleming second, motioned passed unanimously. -Member Evan Brush asked the Board to donate money $500 to the Wellington National night out/ Battle of the Badges Sheriff team vs Fire Dept team event. All proceeds are going to boys and girls club and/or the eagles after hours program.There will be lots of activities and food trucks etc for this community event. Motion was made by President Vanhook to donate $500 to this event, second by Delegate Romero, motion passed unanimously.
Open Discussion: -Discussed non duty plan and misconception of the plan. President Vanhook will send an email clarifying coverage and options.
Report of Births, Injured, Sick, and Distressed: Cards given to people that lost family members. Chaplain Christopherson has talked to a few people that had need. Lodge received thank you letters from the officers down funds we donated to.
Good of the Order: None
Next Meeting: July 17, 2018 @1830hrs Adjournment: Motion to adjourn made by Secretary Wicker, Seconded by Delegate Fleming, motion passed unanimously